Order of Centurions
Teach the way of God in truth
TIME DEUM ET
The purpose of this page is to identify educational opportunities for Centurions to enable them to increase their knowledge for service in the Church.
* BIBLE COURSE: If you are just beginning, consider this Free Basic Bible Course and study under the Legion's Praefectus Castrorum.
* SEMINARY: For in-depth study, the Order has established a free Academy of Centurions Theological School based on the material placed on-line by Covenant Seminary which provides excellent, comprehensive, and free seminary lectures that any centurion may audit by course. Text books referred to in the syllabus are available through the Covenant Book Store or other on-line sources and the Academy has in many cases identified public domain alternative texts. The Order will assist centurions who wish to pursue courses through this and other selected sources, and will administer a mentoring program that will credit centurions who meet additional academic standards for courses. Those who complete a rigorous and comprehensive program of courses and studies set forth by the Academy may be awarded a Theological Diploma. Write the Primus Pilus for more information.
CONTINUTING EDUCATION AND SELF IMPROVEMENT
There are several on-line resources that provide excellent works for an unstructured self-study program. The Bible Studies Foundation - BSF is a good place to start. Another resource is Religion On Line - ROL. In addition, one may view selected video presentations through our Centurion Audio-Video Reference Library.
We commend the following areas:
* BIBLE - Read it, all of it. Understand it. Believe it. The New English Translation (NET) Bible has extensive notes for study, Biblical Resources has links to many useful sites and translations, and the World Wide Study Bible has many links to commentaries and translations. Biblical Studies on the Web features contemporary scholarly and scientific papers.
* CHURCH HISTORY - Notes on Church History, a Timeline is an excellent place to begin your study and return for a year by year chronology of the history of the Church along with the Institute of Early Christianity. Also review these ancient documents that provide a view of the early Church: Didache or Teaching of the Apostles, Apostolic Teaching and Constitutions, and the Apostolic Tradition of Hippolytus. For a more in-depth study, you may look to Schaff: History of the Church. A site with many resources is Christian Origins. The Ecumenical Councils (with particular attention to the first four councils that established the creeds and the doctrine of the trinity and the nature of Christ, and are broadly accepted by Christians)
* THEOLOGY - Computer Assisted Theology is a good place to begin. The ROL site lists many theological sources as do these sites: St Johns University, Wabash Center, Christian Theology Page . Theologians .
* EARLY CHURCH FATHERS - Become familiar with their concepts and theology Writings of the Early Church Fathers, Early Christian Writings, Tertullian Project, and CCEL Early Church Fathers. The Order of Centurions is established specifically with the objective to encourage the practice of a simple, ancient form of worship; and encourage members to live by the plain Word of Scripture. The theology of the Early Church Fathers is very important to the Centurion's study, particularly through the first five centuries. Our worship center features the weekly liturgical proper collect and readings with homilies from the Fathers of the 2nd-6th Century.
* APOLOGETICS - The defense of the historic and early orthodox faith. Recommend CS Lewis as a primary resource. Mere Christianity is a basic orthodox theological introduction. The book Mere Theology provides an exemplary introduction to Lewis orthodoxy and this Mere Theology Reading Guide shows related Lewis works for each of Vaus' chapters. The CS Lewis book online here, The Abolition of Man, is an excellent place to begin with its argument for objective Right and the existence of God. Check your local library or here for other apologetic works by Lewis. You may like to read this Mere Apologetics for a description and summary of Lewis. For those seeking scholarly resources, we recommend you look to this site for a listing of resources.
* WORSHIP - The Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs, the Sacraments, Ordinances, Mysteries; and Liturgics are useful.
* HOMILETICS - The Lesson Planner, Sermon Outlines, Sermon Index, and Sermon Illustrations may be useful. We commend the sermons of John Chrysostom through CCEL. This Homiletics on Line is, they say, for those who have too much integrity to preach someone else's sermon!. Homiletics hotlist.
* LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT Leadership University has a wealth of information.
* RESOURCES - Protestant Encyclopedia and Catholic Encyclopedia
CALLING OF SERVANTS - Centurions may be called to serve the people, according to their gifts, in the work of the Church. They should consider the Scriptures in responding to a calling.
If any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ
If the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
Copyright Order of Centurions 10/17/08 | Reviewed 11:07 PM 1/22/2014